"It's a fact that the ones who don't believe usually the ones who gonna clap when you succeed" -Gaven Hevy

I didn't know what to expect when I got the email promoting the new video for this cat Gaven Hevy's song Crab Legs. But I have a soft spot in my heart for Brooklyn, so I gave it a chance...
gaVen heVy - Crab Legs from INeverRapped2BCool on Vimeo.

As it turns out, Gaven's nice on the mic. The "nothing special" quality of the video for Crab Legs does nothing to detract from Gav's gravelly inspirational flows. By the end of the song, I was officially impressed. I copped this song Boomhauer off his Soundcloud page, which I enjoyed just as much.

Too often when I listen to young cats rhyme (or old cats, for that matter) I immediately feel like I am hearing someone trying to be something they're not. Gaven's songs have an aspirational quality to them, but he seems to be trying to become the best possible future version of himself, not a Kanye or Young Money knockoff.
Despite getting lots of bad music pushed to me, I'm not totally negative about the young generation of rappers, because of acts like Gaven Hevy that at least try to carry the banner for emceeing in a post-emceeing era. SO anyways, Gaven's debut EP ...Dedicated to Her scheduled to drop New Year's Day, so I'm looking forward to hearing more from him.


until then...
-samax.  

2 comments:

corance said...

DANG!!! Dud is the truth! Good lookin' out, Samax.

Samax said...

Yup. What a pleasant surprise...

This Post Brought to you by

Zero Killer TPB

This post brought to you by

This post brought to you by
Support GhettoManga + Save on Books = WIN

was that it? find it here