Life Sentences...

i remember the first time i watched forest gump, thinking how there couldn't be ANYBODY whose life was that interesting... i mean, how could one person be there for so many different events... well, there actually is at least one: Percy Carey, known better to indie rap enthusiasts as MF GRIMM, grew up in Manhattan in the early days of hipHop. in the course of his carreer, he has been an emcee, producer, drug lord and rap journalist... he's rubbed elbows with everyone from battle emcee Supernatural, to Chuck D, to MF DOOM, to Dr Dre, to Suge Knight.

thankfully, he also rubbed up against comic artist Ronald Wimberly (Lucifer, Swamp Thing, Papa Midnite) at least long enough to create Sentences: the life of MF GRIMM published by Vertigo/DC in September of '07. Sentences paints an exciting but sober picture of the highs and lows of the hip hop universe, including the intersection with gangs, drugs, and organized crime.

"Life is nothing but a chess game, man, and you realize you're just pieces on the board," Carey said in an interview with CBR . "I look at it this way: Instead of totally focusing on the situation itself, the outcome of the situation was a test within myself. It was a test between me and the creator, to show me my purpose on the planet, and I needed to sit down and learn patience and go on the path to learn and acquire a certain amount of knowledge that I was too ignorant to try to get while I was still walking. So I realized I was paralyzed anyway, but now I'm paralyzed physically. You know, before it was mental. I have to say it was really just the fact of me, my temptations, and obviously not getting in tune with the world correctly. I learned a lot from it. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing, because of the knowledge that I have today."

Sentences
is an interesting account of a man known well to insiders, yet not a household name himself. SENTENCES: THE LIFE OF MF GRIMM makes the Beg, Borrow, Steal List easily... it has my highest recommendation! in other words: COP IT HERE!
peace,
-gM

2 comments:

Goldi gold said...

yea, i copped that joint at borders a couple of months back. I let flux borrow that joint. U know Binkis was on Mf Grimm label a couple of years back

Samax said...

that's not surprising... Binkis is retarded (y'know... in a GOOD way!)

yeah, i wrote a blog on it in september that i never posted (it was stuck in draft status), so i copied it here. this book is the LICK! heads need to peep it!

This Post Brought to you by

Zero Killer TPB

This post brought to you by

This post brought to you by
Support GhettoManga + Save on Books = WIN

was that it? find it here