i know Kung Fu...

okay, so me and the wife finally went to see Kung Fu Panda yesterday. it's a dreamworks movie, so i had not thought it would be as good as the average Pixar joint, but they did a GREAT job on this one! this movie had great design and a well-constructed, family-friendly story of a slacker/dreamer who has to learn to believe in himself and reach his full potential. I'm not all that impressed with the scattered pop-culture humor Dreamworks usually resorts to in their 3d films, but the humour in Kung Fu Panda is tightly packed and focused in the film, with fanboy references that true Kung Fu heads will catch without being a distraction to the chi-impaired.
the movie had all-around splendid design, from the character designs (you'll love Angelina Jolie's character, Master Tigress and the elderly turtle sensei Master Oogway)to the soundtrack. the environments were especially well-conceived, and thankfully, so were the fight scenes! the fight scene choreographer was actually trained in Kung Fu, and all the animators got Kung Fu lessons to prepare for the film! and it shows, as the fight scenes are among the best i've ever seen in an american cartoon!

the opening sequence and end titles employed 2d animation and were so fabulous it made me wanna see DreamWorks do more 2d joints too! Anyways, please go watch this movie... we need to see more films executed on this level.
holla!
-gM

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo, I also liked this movie. I went in thinking it might not be that good, but I was amazed how the story flowed and keep my interest. The animation was dope, and like you said, those fight scenes were tight.

B_Steelo said...

That movie was tight.

I liked the character designs and development, the opening sequence was Samurai Jack/Ninja Scrollesque and of course the fight sequences were edited and planed out really well.

I was especially intrigued at how the development of Panda's skills didn't seem stupid. That's what I was worried about most, so that when he went up against the villan, in an animation, it was believable.

Word.

B_Steelo said...

Or rather I should say "...in a story such as this...

Samax said...

yeah, TELL 'em, Steve-dave!

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything you posted. I was surprised to watch a movie and not catch any unnecessary adult humor. (closest thing was him getting hit in the balls, but who doesn't laugh/cringe at that?)

Good all around fun. I'm tempted to watch again. Those fight scenes were off the chain. Shifu vs Tai Lung was better than Yoda vs Count Doku. Seeing how he did the flaming paw technique was probably the best part of that. aaaah good stuff.

Samax said...

Doku vs. Yoda... mmmmmmmmm LOL!)
yeah, totally!

Anonymous said...

so i guess i need to take the little one, huh? :-) sounds like a fun movie and i'm definitely a kung fu head so that's right up my alley. did you ever see jackie chan in kung fu wooden men? yooooooooooooo that movie had me cringing FOR REAL. if you haven't seen it, holla and i'll send you a link.

Samax said...

you're gonna hafta get that link to me!
and DFINITELY take the shorty to Kung Fu Panda! you'll BOTH like it!

This Post Brought to you by

Zero Killer TPB

This post brought to you by

This post brought to you by
Support GhettoManga + Save on Books = WIN

was that it? find it here