The EXCELLENT adventures of Marvel's mighty Muslim-American superheroine continue!

I can't tell you how pleased I was to look at the latest preview of Ms. Marvel and see that G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona are still working on the book. As I have said before, Wilson and Alphona are doing a splendid job on Ms. Marvel, and I think it's mad important to have a consistent creative team on a fledgling book with a promising new character.
But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. I haven't posted any Ms. Marvel previews since my initial one, so let's catch up, starting with issue seven, which was drawn by Jake Wyatt.



 For the record, I freaking LOVED Jake Wyatt's art on issues six and seven, but I'm really glad to see Adrian Alphona return with issue eight. Props to Jamie Mckelvie for holding it down on the cover art for the series too, before I forget...





 
Wow. That's beautiful stuff. I'm not a Muslim, but I have Muslim friends who give the side eye to the way they are typically portrayed in media. Knowing how they feel, I appreciate Marvel's attempt to build a more true to life Muslim American experience for Kamala Khan's story. Also, Adrian Alphona can draw the hell out of a teleporting bulldog. That brings us to the other thing I like about the handling of Ms. Marvel. It looks like they are resisting the urge to hijack the book with crossover story lines, instead weaving cameos in, with only minimal tie-in to bigger events. I hope they can keep that trend going, because it will make the trade paperback collections (the real product) better to read alone. Speaking of which, you can click here to cop Ms. Marvel Vol. 1: No Normal which collects issues 1-5.

Ms. Marvel #9 is in stores now.

Peace,
-samax
Samax Amen draws people, places and things for fun and profit. He is the artist of many great comics you never heard of like Herman Heed, Champion of Children, The Brother and The World As You Know It. He even writes and draws his own comics, like Dare: The Adventures of Darius Davidson, Spontaneous, and Manchild when he gets around to it. Because making comics is hard and stuff, he started GhettoManga as a blog in 2006 and as a print magazine in 2008. 
GhettoManga
comics. hiphop. news. art. culture

No comments:

This Post Brought to you by

Zero Killer TPB

This post brought to you by

This post brought to you by
Support GhettoManga + Save on Books = WIN

was that it? find it here