SUNDAY COMICS w/ SAMAX- This week's comics and art


Subscribe to SUNDAY COMICS w/Samax Amen
My weekly newsletter Sunday Comics with Samax Amen is back with the comics, art and what-not I made from the week.  Subscribe to get it in your inbox automagically. 




Hey fam,


I came back to Dallas for a funeral last weekend, and stayed with friends for the week.

The day before the funeral was Valentine's Day, so I hung out with my daughter Marley and gave her some candy, a card, and a copy of this book 
Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History by Vashti Harrison.

I saw this book at Fabled, a bookstore in downtown Waco that I like to loiter at when I'm out walking, and I just had to buy it for Marley.  I showed it to my mom and she loved it too.

It's a collection of illustrations and essays about influential black women from different eras. The author is an illustrator who started this as a project on social media that grew and grew until it became a book.

Anyways my mom, my daughter, and I all love it and think you should totally buy a copy for yourself, a loved one, or both.

If you click the button below the book cover below to order it, I will receive a microscopic payment at some point in the future from Amazon.
RECOMMENDED!

Right now I don't have any comic strip clients, so I've been drawing my own comic strips, since making more strips is a core value for me this year.

This is one I wrote a while back, and dropped for Presidents Day.

Click the button to order an 11 x 11 inch print of this comic for $30 (includes domestic shipping).

If you have ideas that you would like to make into comic strips, I would love to help you.  Feel free to respond to this message and we'll  figure out what it will take to make that happen.
Buy a Print- $30

I got two sketches done on the road this week, in between the funeral, getting work done, and hanging out with my friends.

The Devil You Don't Know was made as a way to demonstrate how I draw on my Cintiq to one of my friends.

I drew this with no backstory or anything in mind.

As I was finishing it up, I started thinking of one:

So this guy came from a hellish dimension to destroy the world with fire, but a superhero put his flame out and then chained him at the bottom of the ocean. Now he's trying to escape so he can relight his fire and get back to the business of burning down our world.

I might color it and offer it as a sticker or something later.  What do you think?
"The Devil You Don't Know" © Samax Amen 2020

This Firestorm sketch was drawn in my Big Black Sketchbook with an orange Crayola marker.

Firestorm was one of my favorite superheroes when I was a kid.  If you want an 8 x 11 print of this sketch, plus an exclusive illustrated essay about the character (written and illustrated by me), mailed to your door, click the black button to pre-order.

I love making magazines, so I'll do a short run of 25 copies!
Firestorm Sketch Print + Booklet $49

The #ThrowbackThursday drawing this week was The Wall.  

This piece started out as a sketch in one of my old spiral notebooks.  It's about perseverance in the face of obstacles.

I was in the habit of making simple drawings like this and coloring them with Photoshop.  The best one would be the Featured Image of the Month on my website.

I would upload the images on Cafe Press to sell on shirts, greeting cards, and mugs.
The Wall was the featured Image of the Month for October of 2003.
The Wall ©2003-2020 Samax Amen

The Wall by Samax Amen
microns on paper + Adobe Photoshop
prints available

I was doing art shows a lot back then, so I ordered packs of greeting cards and postcards with this image to sell at shows.

This drawing was always well liked.

People really like to buy this on greeting cards. At first I only offered the cards that were blank on the inside.

Then I wrote a caption to go on the inside:


No obstacle, though it may be touched with hands, is more real than the goal it obstructs.

 When barriers loom large...

Your desire to overcome must be larger still...

 for the realization of your dreams lies on the other side!

-"The Wall" by Samax Amen


People like to buy the cards more with the caption.  That's not always the case with my cards, but it is with this one.
Order a Card Here

While I was on the road, I got the next page of BiGS knocked out.

After being pleased with my art when I stepped in to help on BiGS #3, Upchuck Comics invited me back to do the art on pages 11-22 of the fourth and final issue.

I don't post the full finished artwork on the wild internet, but I do share stuff with the AMENsiders VIPs.  If you want the FULL behind the scenes experience, you should join up!
Join AMENsiders VIP Group

If you've been following along, you know I opened a store on the site TEEPUBLIC, selling teeshirts, stickers and other printed things with my art.

It's going pretty well. I have five designs on there right now.
FISH © 2020 Samax Amen

As of this week, the most popular design is the Wu-tang Clan inspired design FISH.  All these designs are available on multiple colors and items.  One of these actually sold on a children's teeshirt this week.

Anyways, here's the rest of the designs I have on there:
RADIOACTIVE ©2020 Samax Amen
Ghost Love ©2020 Samax Amen
HOLLOW BONES © Samax Amen
Love's Gonna Getcha ©2020 Samax Amen

If you have bought some of my stuff (from Teepublic, Cafe Press, or wherever), please send me pictures!

If you want to order products with these drawings, click the button below.
My Teepublic Store

That's it for this week.

Next week we'll talk more about my comic book plans, which consist largely of completing some back-burner projects.

Thanks to everyone who supports my art business.

Whenever you pay for my products and services, a portion of your payment is donated to the Innocence Project, a nonprofit that works to exonerate innocent people through DNA testing and reform the criminal justice system to prevent injustice.

That's all for now, fam.
Thanks again for reading! 


Peace,
-Samax ("some AX") Amen


CLICK HERE to email me, or click here to hit me on Facebook messenger.

You can even schedule a free (no pressure) phone or video call here to talk about your project.

This issue of SUNDAY COMICS with SAMAX AMEN is brought to you by:

spread the word!


No comments:

This Post Brought to you by

Zero Killer TPB

This post brought to you by

This post brought to you by
Support GhettoManga + Save on Books = WIN

was that it? find it here