SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! Well... I don't have any money... but you know what I mean!

There's still a couple days left in 2014, but these concept drawings of the upcoming kid monster comic NIGHT BOY by Damian Duffy and BLACK KIRBY (aka Stacey Robinson and John Jennings) have me fiending to see it drop in 2015...





I really LOVE this elongated composition!






Can you say 'love interest'..?


the secret i.d. I presume...




Even though I have yet to meet them in person, I know all three of these guys well. I have been chopping it up behind the scenes with John Jennings for years, including when John interviewed me for Black Comix, the coffee-table-smashing documentary art book he and Damian cranked out a few years ago devoted to the melanin-rich end of the indy comics spectrum. Stacey (aka BlackStar Shabach) and I have bought each others' comics and chastised each other to do more for years, so no one was more excited to see John and Stacey fuse together to form the afrofuturistic comics collabo machine BLACK KIRBY than I was! All three of these gentlemen love comics and hip hop so much that it shines through, even when they work in other media.
So yeah, I'm excited every time I see these guys talking about throwing a new creation into the battle-to-the-death arena of indie comics. Hopefully 2015 will be a year that sees more consumer participation in the black comics sphere (now that the major publishers say it's okay to buy comics with colored folks on the cover).  I would be excited to see these guys leading the pack, or at least holding down a prominent spot!



Peace,
-samax
Samax Amen draws people, places and things for fun and profit. He is the artist of many great comics you never heard of like Herman Heed, Champion of Children, The Brother and The World As You Know It. He even writes and draws his own comics, like Dare: The Adventures of Darius Davidson, Spontaneous, and Manchild when he gets around to it. Because making comics is hard and stuff, he started GhettoManga as a blog in 2006 and as a print magazine in 2008. 
GhettoManga.com 
comics. hiphop. news. art. culture

No comments:

This Post Brought to you by

Zero Killer TPB

This post brought to you by

This post brought to you by
Support GhettoManga + Save on Books = WIN

was that it? find it here