A Skrull's gotta eat, fam



This morning I sat down to do my Daily Sketch and years of Marvel Comics drove me to draw a female Skrull.

The Skrulls are a race of green shape-shifting aliens that first appeared in Fantastic Four #2 back in 1962.

Lady Skrull by Samax Amen
Crayola markers in Big Black Book 

Skrulls played a pivotal role in Marvel's recent movies Captain Marvel and Spider-Man: Far From Home, which did a fun twist of humanizing them. 

I cleaned it up a little with photoshop.
Click the blue button to buy an 11 x 14 print for $27 (includes domestic shipping).
Buy the Print

In the comics, Skrulls have been almost universally portrayed as evil.

It's easy to understand why. 

Skrulls target and invade other worlds, pretending to be friends with those they encounter with the sole purpose of plundering their riches and resources.

No one likes a dishonest predator.

It reminds me of the way people respond to salesmanship.  People associate selling with predatory behavior.

Salesmen are slimy, sleazy, sneaky interlopers. No more worthy of trust than an alien shape-shifting reptile.

Unless you're new here, fam, you know I disagree.

I recently attended a Facebook live hosted by James Wedmore of the Business By Design podcast and scribed the Sketch Notes below.

Selling stuff isn't inherently bad, or sleazy, or whatever.

People love buying stuff.

What they don't like is feeling manipulated.

So when I sell stuff, I just avoid the parts that are not cool.  I don't bully people, or twist at their guts, or mislead them.

I don't like force-feeding people either.

I prefer to attract people, then I show and tell.

If people want or need what I'm offering them, they buy.

If not, they don't.

No harm done to them or me either way.

Selling is Just a Tool that helps one make a living by helping others.  It doesn't have to be a predatory act with a winner and a loser.

In fact, if what you sell solves a problem your audience has, you have an obligation to let them know about it!

In that way, Selling is a Service.

Contrary to popular opinion, art helps people.

For example, comic book writer Grant Morrison explained the value of superhero comics like this:


"We created superheroes to inspire us.

To give us an idea of our better selves, and then we could imitate our better selves" 


Whether you entertain, or inspire, or educate, Someone Out There Needs You.

Transformation Begins With a Transaction.  If we are afraid to sell someone something when we know it will help them, lets not pretend we are being virtuous.

Fear is a strong motivator.  Fear isn't inherently bad, if it's helping us protect ourselves and others from real danger. 

How Much are You Ruled by Fear?  The fear of selling is really just the fear of what others will think.  It's an imaginary danger that our minds turn into a giant monster.

Declawing and de-fanging that monster is among the most important missions of my life.

So you can categorize me as a Skrull if you want.  I will continue to show up with my art, and offer value to you and the rest of my subscribers, because I care about you.

If you get tired of it, hit the unsubscribe link at the bottom of this email.
No hard feelings, but I'm gonna make my mark the only way I know how.

A Skrull's gotta eat.

READY TO UPGRADE YOUR MEMBERSHIP?

For the record, fam, I really appreciate you for letting me invade your inbox with my art and (hopefully valuable) rambling!

If you wanna take it up a notch or two, you should upgrade your AMENsiders Membership to the VIP Level!

VIP Membership gives you

  1. Exclusive access to my secret Members-Only AMENsiders VIP Facebook group, where you can build and destroy with like-minded peeps from all walks of life.
  2. Live Q & A's, where you can ask me anything you want! Advice about art, marketing, my opinion about your favorite rapper's mixtape, or whatever.  Let's make it interesting!
  3. Behind-the-scenes updates on projects in progress, that I don't even show to the email subscribers. 
  4. Exclusive discounts on my Products and Services- a lot of subscribers keep asking when I am putting this or that on sale.  I don't do sales that often, but when I do, VIPs get the sales first. ALL my sales are limited, so if the VIPs snap up all the spots (which they often do), the sale's over.

VIP Memberships start at $10/month.  Cancel at any time.
Upgrade Now

Anyways, I gotta bounce, but if you need me, feel free to reach out!

Thanks again for reading,  fam.

Have a great weekend!
-Samax ("some AX") Amen

This email is brought to you by:

spread the word!

Share Share

Tweet Tweet

Forward Forward

Facebook

Website

Instagram

LinkedIn

Copyright © 2019 SamaxAmen.com, All rights reserved.
You're getting this email because you signed up for the Samax Amen Newsletter (or maybe a friend forwarded it to you, you lucky dog!) so you could know when I dropped new stuff!

Our mailing address is:
SamaxAmen.com
1516 n 6th st
WACO, TX 76707

Add us to your address book


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

No comments:

This Post Brought to you by

Zero Killer TPB

This post brought to you by

This post brought to you by
Support GhettoManga + Save on Books = WIN

was that it? find it here