RIP Stan Lee

All of us here at GhettoManga are saddened by the passing of iconic Marvel comics writer Stan Lee.  



I grew up on Marvel comics and cartoons. Stan wasn't writing many books (if any) by the time I got into comics (the Byrne/Simonson era), but I knew who he was, due in large part to his voiceover role on Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends.  "Stan Lee presents" opened the credits of every Marvel comic I read as a youngster.  Stan was larger than the characters.

Stan's work, public persona, and the myth of the mighty Marvel Bullpen made me want to make comic books when I was a child. Spider-man helped me learn to read and helped teach me right and wrong.   



I worked on a mural during Stan Lee's 94th birthday roast in Dallas. I did not meet him, but he was in the room while we were working (getting roasted by the cast of Clerks and Ming-Na Wen from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.).  After the roast, the mural was given to Stan.  It was an honor to participate.



Anyways, that was December 2016.  

This summer, Steve Ditko (who co-created Spidey, Doctor Strange, and more with Stan) passed.  I was very distraught.  It prepared me for today's news, I think.  

Stan lived a great life.  He did it big, and inspired many.  

Including me.

Excelsior.





Samax Amen is a professional freelance Content Developer, Illustrator and Cartoonist. He is the artist of many great comics you never heard of. Because making comics is hard and stuff, he started GhettoManga as a blog in 2006 and as a print magazine in 2008.   



GhettoManga.com
comics. hiphop. news. art. culture

No comments:

This Post Brought to you by

Zero Killer TPB

This post brought to you by

This post brought to you by
Support GhettoManga + Save on Books = WIN

was that it? find it here